I remember going to a Christkindlmarket in Chicago during the Christmas season and having warm candied nuts. So I decided to make these candied nuts to take me back to that time.
In this tutorial, I used pecans, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts but you can choose whatever you like (this is what I had on hand so I just went all out, ha!).
I find using brown sugar instead of white granulated sugar they are not too sweet and adds a warmness to them.
You are going to enjoy this recipe and anyone you share it with, yum!
Okay, ready? Let’s get these nuts started!
A delicious, crunchy, slightly sweet confection! This is a great addition to an appetizer table, a gift idea, or just simply make a batch and enjoy them at any time!
- Preheat oven to 300°F, line a cookie sheet, and have all your ingredients and tools ready.
- Place nuts in a large bowl and set aside.
- With an electric hand mixer, whip the egg whites, water, and vanilla extract on medium-high until you reach stiff peaks. This can take between 3-5 minutes.
- Once you have reached stiff peaks, stop the mixer and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently fold until combined.
- Pour mixture over the nuts and stir until completely coated.
- Spread nuts onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes carefully stirring every 15 minutes with a heatproof spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled ENJOY! (I’m sure you will sneak a few while still warm😋)
- *You can use a silicone baking mat in place of the parchment paper and non-stick cookie spray like you see in the picture.